We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Monday, December 12, 2011

Ice skating rink open in Campo San Polo

On December 9th, the largest ice skating rink ever set up in Venice was opened to the public in Campo San Polo. It will be open until the end of Carnevale on February 21, 2012.   (Hours are Mon-Thurs 3-7pm, Friday 3-9 pm, Sat 11-9pm and Sunday 11-7pm)  Along with the ice rink there is also a small Mercatino - shopping area- where there are some stalls set up for vendors selling foods.

This is not me in the photo, although I will admit I am very tempted to take a spin around the rink.  Not sure if that's something my new knee would be happy about though! In the center of the rink is an interesting structure that is lit up at night.  I love how it sits right on top of the campo's pozzo (well)!  When we were at Campo San Polo yesterday afternoon, there was a good number of families enjoying the skating. It's good to see this kind of activity for a change. Normally we just see crowds of tourists. 

I'm a mercatino girl, I just can't get enough of them. We used to have a nice sized mercatino di Natale in Campo Santo Stefano, however that hasn't happened in the last two years. I'm very happy to see this small one at San Polo, and I'm sure I'll be back several times to purchase cheeses and salami's during the coming weeks.  Here's a few photos of the vendors stalls at Campo San Polo for you to get a good idea what it's like.


Several varieties of cannoli- covered with chopped nuts, chocolate chips, and my favorite- with maraschino cherries on both ends!

These are all marzapan candies!!Lots of them!




 This liquirizia (licorice) from Calabria looked like large chunks of coal. I wonder how many kids will be getting some of this in their stockings!


4 comments:

Rob C said...

Hi K,

We missed the Christmas Markets for the last couple of years too!

This looks fun, but I don't think our travel insurance will cover us if one of us breaks a leg!

PS 11 days to go
Rob

Andrew said...

You and your knee MUST keep off that ice, Karen. Ypur favourite cannoli are also my wife, Cheryl's favourite. Wish we were there.

Michelle said...

Ah, I hope the ice rink is there next year when I am! Won't be skating but would love pictures of it.
And food, glorious food. I will be partaking of that.

jariarkko said...

Are there indoor ice skating rinks nearby Venice?