We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Friday, March 28, 2008

Life in Venice - A quilter's paradise




Does anyone know where this is from? Venture a guess????


It's a piece of the floor in St. Mark's Basilica. As a quilter, I am in AWE of the lush patterns I see in every square inch of the floor in this church. And that's just one church. You see things like this in almost every church. Probably not quite this elaborate, but equally impressive. Every quilter I know would wish to be here taking pictures to replicate patterns on a quilt of their own back home!
Everytime I am in St. Marks's I find myself wondering--- no, wishing, that I could meet the artists who laid out the designs here. An then , even better, could I meet the magicians who executed the design and created this glorious art in real life. How did each piece of marble get cut and fit just so?