We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Yes, finally a blog post from me.

Ciao, tutti!

First, I must thank everyone for sending emails and messages asking me what the heck has happened to me. Why no posts ? I've been keeping a secret, and the time for me to explain has come.

My internet is being disconnected tomorrow morning. (So I had better get this posted tonight!) Tomorrow afternoon and Friday morning the mover will be here. We'll be saying goodbye to the yellow house at the far end of Venice.



I've been sitting on this for months, not sure what to say or how to say it. The simple truth is Venice has become too expensive for us to live here anymore, and so we had to find a place we could afford. Venice also has changed in the last couple of years, and that has made it much more difficult to sustain a life as a full time resident here.

We decided to move south, and found a perfect apartment on the tiny little island of Procida, not far from Naples.


This move is bittersweet for me. I've had nine and a half glorious years in Venice. I've loved every last second.  Wouldn't have traded this adventure for anything in the world!  And ten years here on this blog with many of you following me for that long.  I am grateful for each and every one of you. Many of you have become personal friends over the years. Trust me, my life has been enriched by you in countless ways.

So what comes next?  I have thought about changing the name of this blog.. perhaps The Venice Experience goes South?  Or maybe Procida Tales.  I've already got a few chapters of fun stuff that's happened just in finding the apartment and getting the move executed. No doubt there will be more of my "experiences" to come.  I'd like you to tell me if you have any interest in keeping up with something that isn't connected to Venice, or whatever your preference might be.  Feel free to also let me know if it's of no interest at all. I'll get it.

Mike and I also have a brand new blog that will launch soon, hopefully by June. Look for us on "Hendersons on the Road" where we'll share our travels in, around, and out of Italy.

So now my secret is out of the bag. We're excited about what lies ahead and are eager to begin the next chapter of our life.

Still a few last minute things to throw into boxes before my mover Cristian (yes, we are on a first name basis now. Long story.) arrives tomorrow.

Arrivederci, Venice.

Baci,
Karen





22 comments:

Sheryl Gwyther said...

Yes, please, Karen! I'd love to hear about your experiences on the island. I shall now check out the internet as I know nothing about it. I've enjoyed the Venice blog posts, mainly because I'm writing a children's novel set in Venice during the 1700s, and recently stayed two weeks on the island researching and soaking up the atmosphere of the back streets and canals.
I can understand your comments about its expense and the horrific number of people who walk that island every day.

I wonder how long it will sustain the pressure. Sadly, for Venice it is a wonderful, exciting and a jewel of a city. I will go back one day, she's now in my blood too.
Best wishes from Australia. :)
Sheryl Gwyther.

Michelle said...

You and Mike have been with me from the beginning of my "Venice Experience". I don't know what my life would have been like if I hadn't taken that photo tour during my first visit when Mike said "You've got to meet my wife". I'm so glad I did!
I wish you well on your new adventure. I look forward to "Tales from..." wherever you are.
So glad we got that final hug goodbye at Nico's yesterday.
Arrivederci, abbracci e baci,
Michelle

MaryC said...

It must have been hard leaving lovely Venice, but Porcida sounds wonderful too. All the very best to you both for your new adventure.
Mary.

Unknown said...

Good luck with your move and I'd love to hear about your new life living on Procida - please keep writing!

Jan Irving said...

I would very much like to hear about the island and other travels in Italy.

jms said...

We don't know each other, but I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog one day. I love following your expat adventures and I'm really looking forward to the next chapter! Best of luck with your move - and post about it soon!

MaryC said...

I should have added that (like others, no doubt, I'd love to read about your life in Procida.

Leanne said...

It is bittersweet. I started following your blog because you were living my dream of living in Venice, which was already looking pretty remote even to visit! I'll hold onto the dream of staying for a time in the off-season.... I'll keep following along though!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you "let the cat out of the bag." I'm so excited to hear all your new adventures...and learning more about Procida. I'll be waiting for the next chapter.

viaggi sicuri e felici,
Erne'

Unknown said...

So happy you have finally let the "cat out of the bag." Looking forward to stories of all your new adventures. While Venice is one of my favorite places to visit I look forward to hearing all about the Procida area. You have such a talent for story telling I'll be waiting patiently for the continuing saga.

viaggi sicuri e felici,
Erne'

Jon said...

First, many, many thanks for making us live the day by day of my most beloved Venize. I think you have had an experience that very few people can live, and out of them, you beautifully shared it and made us experience it in a way.

On the other hand I find sad that Venice has changed so much that It can't host a lover for life anymore.

Good Luck. Procida is beautiful, and close-by Naples will sure inspire wonderful posts.

Good luck! Good journey! Looking forward to your new life posts.

Kaye James said...

Oh yes, please continue! I looked for you when I saw The Pink Ladies in the Dragon boat and wondered where YOU were! I will now have to look up your new little island to meet you for coffee sometime! (Don't hold your breath!) Best of luck in your new home with new places to explore!

Anonymous said...

Karen: the few times I've written a comment it was always to compliment you on your writing skills and so I would follow you anywhere, especially to Procida and your adventures (or simply day-to-day living). It would be great to learn all about your experience in moving on and locating your new home. You and your husband are not spring chickens so it is good to get this move made while you are hale and hearty. Is this where you will "age in place?" Buon viaggio and safe landings.
Fred

Rob C said...

Both,
So who else will I barter Cheddar for Spritz with?

Hope to see you when we visit Naples, keep on blogging please, you made Venice 'real' to us, and many others.

Follow your heart(s).

Rob & Nat

Tiana said...

Good luck with your move. Ironically we are headed to Venice next month!

Nigel said...

Hi Karen
I will be sad to leave Venice behind, but I look forward to hearing of your new life on Procida.
Hope the move goes well, but I'm sure there will be stories to tell.
Good luck in this new adventure.
Nigel

Dianne said...

Karen, I have been following you blog since the beginning even though I occasionally missed a couple. I have not been back to Venice since Carnevale 2014 although I hope to go again. Guess I won't get to see you there but I understand how expensive Venice can be.

I certainly will follow any new blog you send out. I know that you will find many interesting things to share with us. I've been to the Naples area (even walked up Mt. Vesuvius) but had not even heard of Procida. It will be fun to discover it with you. I'm glad I had a chance to meet you and even see the yellow house. Buona fortuna mia amica.

Unknown said...

Ciao Karen,

It's been over a month and I am having "Italy news from Karen" withdrawals. I had sent a comment when you first posted your update but apparently didn't do it correctly so it didn't show up.

I hope we receive updates or news soon and that you are getting settled in your new home. I love your stories and I'm sure you have already collected many more.

Erne'

Kaye said...

Wonderful! A new place to explore; but a fond farewell to my favorite "Pink Lady!" (I mentioned seeing Dragon Boats near Winchester, Va. a while back.) thanks for sharing "your" Venice. She is in my blood because of a trip in 2009! I so wanted to share an espresso with you-maybe at your new place? Baci
!!

karen said...

Grazie, Kaye! The move was an experience in and of itself! Never want to move again. We're adjusting to this new little oasis, happy with our choice of where to relocate and enjoying lots of sunshine and smiles from the locals. If you are ever down near Naples, we will definitely share that expresso, with pleasure.

Kaye said...

Hi Karen! Moving gets more difficult and tiring each time(we are not getting any younger!)It would be SPECIAL to meet one day! I have decided to start doing stuff instead of talking about it. Hawaii is on my short list(w/sister in Feb)! I'm excited...Your picture of your new island is a tease, you know! I wish you the best of everything there; and thanks for including all of us in Venice! XO! Kaye

Robert Johnson said...

Goodness, that was a surprise! There I was, digging out your website in order to recommend your tours to a colleague when I discovered that you had upped sticks and headed south. I have pointed a number of people in your direction since enjoying two tours with Mike on the occasion of my 30th birthday in October 2013, and had rather hoped to be able to take another one myself one day. I hope nevertheless that you both settle into your new home quickly - and I will keep an eye on your blog to see how things turn out.