We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Friday, February 13, 2015

Costumes, Costumes, Costumes!


We are now in full Carnevale mode here, LOTS of tourists on the streets, LOTS of activities going on day and night.  The best time to catch some gorgeous costumes is in the mornings, between 8-10 am at St. Mark's square and the Doges Palace.  The level of detail on some of  these costumes is beyond belief!  I hope you feel like you are right there with me as I snapped these photos!


I had to start with this one - the Plague Doctor costume and mask (il Medico dell'Peste), one of the oldest masks used in Venice dating back to the plague of the 1500's.






Here's a perfect example of the level of detail to these costumes. Check the eyes on this model- they are wearing some interesting contact lenses. 




Another close up so you can appreciate the detail of these costumes. Look carefully at the peacock ring this model in the peacock outfit is wearing. 




Pierrot! It wouldn't be Carnevale without spotting Pierrot. 



Have you booked your tickets to Carnevale 2016 yet? 

Ciao tutti!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm planning to be there for Carnevale 2019 if all goes well!
Your photos are lovely as usual.
Baci,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

we were there at dawn, a little before you were. we brought our 3 year old grandson in costume, and were swamped with photographers who ignored the rest of us, in costume. it was great.

karen said...

Oh I wish I had known you were there! I LOVE ghe little kids in costume, they are the best! I always have difficulty getting a good photo of them, they're in motion!

Enjoy Carnevale!

Emma Leiper said...

Love the pictures - even if some of them are a bit spooky! I heard there was also a zombie parade - did you see any zombies walking about town??

karen said...

Emma- I also saw the listing of a zombie parade, but did not see any, and after yesterday's massive crowds (80,000 people) I'm avoiding St. Mark's square today!

Tomorrow I think I will go out for more photos. If I see zombies, trust me, I'll post a photo or two for you!

Baci!

Emma Leiper said...

Ha ha, fingers crossed! :)

Dianne said...

We went to the Symphony on Tuesday evening for a performance of Cirque de la Symphonie. There was a harlequin juggler in a beautiful red sequined costume and I thought how appropriate that it was "Mardi Gras" evening. Your photos are fabulous and make me remember my visit for Carnevale 2014. I hope to return for another -- they are so much fun!