We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Friday, February 3, 2012

Carnevale starts tomorrow.....

Carnevale 2012 kicks off tomorrow in St. Mark's square at 6pm with a special toast, with wine flowing from a large fountain that is constructed specially for Carnevale.  There are a few other events over the weekend, then things are quiet until Feb 11 when things really get going.  Here are some photos of prior years costumes to give you a taste of what's to come - soon!  While St. Mark's square is a sea of humans during Carnevale, it's worth being jostled for a few hours just to be able to enjoy the sights.



 Yes, even the dogs join in.








This little guy looks like he's had all the fun he could take. 



And these two are in about the same shape!




At the end of the day, the streets of Venice are covered with confetti. Oftentimes, you can still see confetti on the streets well into March.


And one more "taste of Carnevale"- a few more frittelle. These are from Colussi's bakery near Campo Santa Barnaba. If you have not yet found your way to Colussi's, put it on your wish list.

7 comments:

Jan Pag said...

Hi Karen, I've had the all clear to fly - I am so exited! I have an ankle brace on but I will just have to think differently about walking all day. We always intend to miss Carnevale crowds but I am curious to see some of it. I will give you a call or text when we are there, to arrange to meet up, Jane

karen said...

Excellent news! If you are here on Sunday, there is a great event on the Cannaregio canal for the locals as a kick off to Carnevale, but tourists attend too. It's bitter cold here, so plan to bundle up! See you soon!!!!

LindyLouMac said...

Congratulations on your 4th Anniversary. I hope the Carnevale is not spoilt by this bitterly cold weather we are experiencing. It is snowing here so I am enjoying staying warm and catching up with all my blogging friends.

karen said...

Grazie, LindyLouMac. Stay warm! Despite the cold they are predicting for tomorrow, we'll be out to enjoy both the arrival of il Torro and also the wine toast at St. Marks.

Ribbonnibbler said...

Auguri Karen! I'm so jealous! Last time I went to Carnevale was in 2007. I enjoy the pictures you've taken of the costumes. They're so marvelous. I'm having my own festa di carnevale at home with friends. I'm going to attempt to make homemade crostoli. Ciao!

karen said...

Ribbonnibbler- hopefully it's a little warmer where you are :) I have a recipe for frittelle if you want to try those!

Have fun at your Carnevale ball!-

yeriko said...

Venice Is The Most Awesome And Awesome Location On The Earth my blogs day visit asia