We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Friday, January 4, 2013

First frittelle of the season!!

I've had a cold since New Year's day, feeling quite crappy unfortunately. Last night as Mike was leaving the apartment for his walk, I asked him to bring back something for me that would make me feel better. Guess what my present was???  FRITTELLE!!!  I still felt crappy, but he sure did give my spirits a big boost!

Frittelle, for those of you who don't already know, are a Venetian treat made only at Carnevale time. It's essentially a fried doughnut, but even better!  The dough usually has raisins and pine nuts in it, and it can be filled with lovely stuffings such as creme , nutella, chocolate, zabaglione, marmalade, and ricotta, or left vuota (empty).

These tasty morsels are perhaps my favorite thing about Carnevale. I look forward to winter just so I can have frittelle. We've even put them in the freezer at the end of the season so I could stretch out my frittelle consumption a little bit longer. Just like in summer when I am a 2 or 3 gelato a day girl, Carnevale season I become a 2 Frittelle a day girl. Every bakery in town makes their own versions, all delightful.




Bakeries stack trays of frittelle in their windows, it's impossible to resist!


The link below is to a video of Cesare Colonnese, a Venetian, who shares his recipe for frittelle. Watch it and enjoy!  Yes, it's all in Venetian, but it's worth taking a few minutes, both to see the frittelle making and to enjoy Cesare!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTce74ZDXHI

If you are going to be in Venice this year over Carnevale, I recommend treating yourself to some frittelle. Go on your own "Great Frittelle Hunt".  Try a frittelle in each bakery you pass.  Bet you can't eat just one!!  Some of my favorites places to find frittelle include:

Tonolo near the Frari in Dorsoduro
Majer in Campo Santa Margherita, Dorsoduro  or Via Garibaldi, Castello
Rizzardini by Campo San Polo, San Polo
Colussi by Campo San Barnaba


Carnevale 2013 officially begins January 26, ending on February 12 this year.  My Venetian friends have informed me this morning that eating frittelle before January 7 is not just not allowed.  January 7 is the day Carnevale started in past times,the day after Epiphany, and ended 40 days before Easter.   Since the 1980's, Venice has celebrated Carnevale for just  the last 10 days of that period.  I confess, I have violated the rule.

I tried to argue with my friends based on the fact that I am not Venetian and will never be considered a local, therefore the rule regarding not eating frittelle prior to Jan 7 just doesn't apply to me.  That logic didn't fly!!!   Fortunately for all of us January 7 is just a few days away!!!



8 comments:

Diana D said...

Hi Karen, found your blog (very nice reading) today after searching about Venice. I was interesting in finding out if there is flooding in Venice during January? I was thinking of spending a couple of days there in mid-January but I'm worried about the water situation.

Thanks for much.
Diana

Diana D said...

Hi Karen, found your blog (very nice reading) today after searching about Venice. I was interesting in finding out if there is flooding in Venice during January? I was thinking of spending a couple of days there in mid-January but I'm worried about the water situation.

Thanks for much.
Diana

jodi said...

There are some recipes online that sound good. I will have to try one.

karen said...

Diana- Ciao! Thanks for posting a comment. Yes, there could be water during January, the Aqua Alta season is usually anytime between September -April. But, don't worry, and don\t let that put off a stay in Venice. Please see my blog from Dec 4 that has tips for dealing with Aqua Alta.

Normally the water is only up for a ew hours, and can range from an inch or two to a foot or two (this high is rare). If it's just a few inches, it won't be everywhere, just in a couple of areas, like St. Mark's square and Rialto. Everyone wears boots and continues as normal. Don't worry. Come and enjoy Venice!

Unknown said...

Ciao Karen, we corresponded a few years ago when my husband & I were planning a 3 month stay in 2009 (our 9th visit but by far our longest) & hoped to catch up but you were going back to Baltimore to finalise your house sale. The stay was fantastic; we have been back every year since (and last year, twice!). We're here again (15th time for my husband, 12th for me) & this time in frittelle season! Like you, my favourite treat, and can I add Pasticceria Targa in San Polo? Fantastic, Venexiani, Crema & also their specialty, Mammaluchi (I think that's how you spell it, but they're delicious!). I have been following and enjoying your blog since 2008, but it's not surprising that food, specifically frittelle sponsored my contact... Keep writing, we really enjoy it so much, ciao e grazie

Unknown said...

Ciao Karen, we corresponded a few years ago when my husband & I were planning a 3 month stay in 2009 (our 9th visit but by far our longest) & hoped to catch up but you were going back to Baltimore to finalise your house sale. The stay was fantastic; we have been back every year since (and last year, twice!). We're here again (15th time for my husband, 12th for me) & this time in frittelle season! Like you, my favourite treat, and can I add Pasticceria Targa in San Polo? Fantastic, Venexiani, Crema & also their specialty, Mammaluchi (I think that's how you spell it, but they're delicious!). I have been following and enjoying your blog since 2008, but it's not surprising that food, specifically frittelle sponsored my contact... Keep writing, we really enjoy it so much, ciao e grazie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
karen said...

Anne, thanks for keeping up with me! If you are still here, get in touch with me on my email please, maybe we can meet for coffee?? kmc207@gmail.com.

Looking forward to it!
Karen