We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ferragosto !!!!

Today, August 15, is officially Ferragosto.  This Italian holiday started centuries ago by Emperor Augustus when he declared the whole month, named after himself,  as a holiday filled with all sorts of merriment to celebrate the summer harvest.  Later, August 15 became a religious holiday celebrating the assumption of Mary into heaven.

Italians celebate Ferrogosto in a big way- they close shops and restaurants the end of July and head off to the beaches and the mountains for the month. Great way to escape the heat!

As an American living in Italy, I've had some difficulty wrapping my head around how the whole country can take the whole month off when it is the height of tourist season. Isn't there money to be made??  Who cares, it's vacation time.

This week, I imposed my own Ferragosto and took off for the Lido each day. Surprised even myself- I seem to be a little more Italian this summer! Finally, I get it.



Here's a view from my chaise lounge at B.each on the Lido.  In a few minutes, my beach bag and I will be headed to Piazzale Roma to catch the #6 boat to Lido.  Upon arriving, I'll make the walk down S.M. Elisabetta, past all the shops selling beach necessities along with all the other beach goers and take up my spot on the sand for the day.

Happy Ferrogosto, tutti!


8 comments:

Rob C said...

A proper beach in Venice, who'd a thunk it!

Very jealous of you Karen.

Rob

Dianne said...

Buon Ferragosto Karen!! I went to Lido for the first time back in September 2011 after a number of previous visits to Venice. Visited with my friend Adriana at the end of the season to remove her family's things from the cabana they rented for the season. It's an interesting -- a lot bigger than I would have thought and different because there are automobiles and buses on it. Anyway, it was fun to dip my feet in the Adriatic.

Bonnie C. said...

I love the idea of all thee festivals! And really love the idea of a full month off! I can't help but envy your new life in Venice!!!!

Chris Henderson said...

Mary went to heaven and I was born....what a great day!

karen said...

Rob- the whole of Lido is filled with beaches from one end to the other. Unfortunately, this past weekend was the last beach weekend here, they all closed. The public beach is always open though, you should pop over to see it.

karen said...

Rob- the whole of Lido is filled with beaches from one end to the other. Unfortunately, this past weekend was the last beach weekend here, they all closed. The public beach is always open though, you should pop over to see it.

karen said...

Chris- that means a belated Buon Compleanno is due. Hope you had a great birthday- and many more :)

Venice airport hotels said...

The best time to enjoy the dolce vita at the sea shore.