We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Monday, April 27, 2009

Living the dream- small cravings

People ask me every day if there are any things I miss about the US. My usual answer is "very little". That is true. We've acclimated well, I'd say. And the few things that we sometimes wish we did have, we have managed to find substitutes for. For example- I like Tootsie Rolls. But-- there are so many other lovely desserts and sweets here, I have no problem giving those up.

Seeing as I was recently in the US for a few weeks, I had the opportunity to indulge a bit,and get my fill of a few things while there. Here's my list, in no particular order:

1) Thai food at Thai Aroma!!
2) Indian food at Indian Delight
Note. these are two of my favorite little restaurants in town

3) eat Pork Roll sandwiches -- this is probably a New Jersey thing (also known as Taylor Ham).

4) eat Maryland Blue Crab

5) Watch American TV-- Suvivor, Food Network, a few HGTV shows

6) Go to a movie in English

7) Use the clothes dryer!!!!

See-- that's a short list!!!!

However, in the last few days we've been struggling over a few recipe items that we just can't seem to find - brown sugar,and oh, yes, there's that jar of Cole Slaw dressing I love, or even some Wish Bone Zesty Italian dressing!!!! These are on my "Gee, wouldn't these be nice to have! " list now. But -again, in the grand scheme of things, I really don't miss anything terribly. I've even gotten used to not having a clothes dryer. Hmm... the clothes dryer. I do have a love-hate thing going on with clothes pins over here. Yes, ok, I must admit, I would love a clothes dryer.

1 comment:

Jonty said...

If you miss USA TV so much then you need to learn about VPN, see http://www.vpngates.com/ and for a small fee you can watch all your USA fave shows. Try it, its great.